I firmly believe that Carnival can be and should be enjoyed by all and that there is no one mandated way that dictates how we, as Carnival lovers, should do so. If you have become tired of the all inclusive feathered bikini bands,want to mix it up with a different experience on Carnival Monday or simply want to march to the beat of your own drum and be a Carnival rebel, here are 5 ways you can do so for Carnival 2018.
- Brass Mas – Presented by Etienne & Friends, https://wethepeoplemas.com/offers you the experience of playing mas on Carnival Monday in a “Street Party” with live brass band. For those of you too young to remember, my early days of playing mas featured brass bands on the road, before the days of synchronized music trucks. This concept of vintage style mas debuted this year, Carnival 2017, and after a resounding success is back again for Carnival 2018, registration is now open:
2. N’ouvert – Kairi People brings to you J’ouvert on Carnival Tuesday morning, featuring an all inclusive band with three sections. If you are not about pretty mas , you can pre register to get dutty in powder, paint or mud on Carnival Tuesday here:
3. Trinidad All Stars Steel Orchestra – Yuh can’t play mas and fraid powder! Continuing the tradition of Sailor Mas accompanied by the sweet sounds of steel, you will find this award winning steel orchestra on the road Carnival Monday and Tuesday. To be part of this historical tradition , you can join in by reaching out on their Facebook page.
4. Cat in Bag Productions – If you have always wanted to mix your mas with social commentary and a little bit of protest, this is the band for you. Taking on topics such as pollution and corruption, this small band usually launches their topic for portrayal in January. Stay tuned to their Facebook page for updates.
5. Cosplay meets Carnival – First of it’s kind, this small band ALIAS Entertainment promises to merge the mythical and reality with their debut come Carnival Monday and Tuesday. To learn more about this cosplay concept visit their Facebook page.