I have been going to Barbados for Crop Over since the early 2000s. In the past 15 years I have witnessed the festival undergo a radical change. From the days when the fete line up was Ship Inn on Thursday, Harbour Lights on Friday and Boatyard on Saturday ending with Booze Cruise (in the later years) on Sunday. We now have an action packed week with multiple fetes on one day, so many choices that you will be confused and exhausted trying to do them all. Not only do you have so many options for Fetes but as a Carnival Chaser all of you favourite events from Trinidad Carnival are also replicated for Crop Over; Beach House, Candy Coated Cruise, A.M. Bush, Scorch Cruise and Soca Brainwash can now all be enjoyed on Bajan soil.
I remember fondly as well when your two choices for popular bands were only Baje and Power by Four, where you drank Banks and Cocksupur for the several hours on road.Today there are four more bands added to the line-up that have revolutionized the game. With a number of massive trucks on the road, including air conditioned wee wee trucks, music from popular D.J.s both regionally and internationally, snacks and an extensive drinks menu that now include premium brands served on the road experience for Crop Over has certainly changed since the days I first jumped for Kadooment. Not to mention the costuming reflects the styling of the many Trinidadian designers who lend their talents to the many popular bands. Crop Over Veteran or Crop Over Virgin If you need a summer Carnival that marries the local flavour with some familiar elements on a gorgeous Island, then here is why Crop Over is for you:
- The perfect cure for your Carnival tabanca – If you happened to miss out on Trinidad Carnival spending all of the Carnival season trying to avoid your friend’s constant social media updates wishing you were the one jamming in a fete instead of missing out, then Crop Over is your remedy. Packing a serious punch when it comes to fetes, conserve your energy for a whirlwind weekend, whether you choose to support all the local events or add some of the popular Trini events to your itinerary.
- You are a boatride banton – If you love partying on the sea, Crop Over offers you a plethora of soca infused cruises to choose from. Elite, Roast, Candy Coated, Scorch, Limers and the original Booze Cruise ensure that you can hop off and hop on one cruise to the other all weekend long. Just remember, what happens on the cruise, stays on the cruise!
- Everybody is at this party – I swear, at Crop Over it is like a Carnival chaser reunion, everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, I know is usually there. Even Rihanna manages to be a visible part of Crop Over along with many other celebrities. Look sharp you might just spot Will Smith (who was at Beach House last year), Lewis Hamilton or Rob Riley along with a bevy of well recognised beauty queens.
- The beaches– I know, you are thinking who has time to get to the beach when you are busy either going to a fete, at a fete, coming back from a fete or resting from a fete. Trust me, the beaches are so close by and so inviting that you will find it easy to make a perfect vacation out of Crop Over, relaxing on the beach with a cocktail as much as possible.
- The food – Two things I must have when I touch down in Barbados are fish cakes and Macaroni pie! Fish cake is my go to street food (trust me I hunt it down as soon as I land) and I LOVE the macaroni pie; I am still waiting for someone to divulge that secret ingredient. In addition to popular fast food places like Chefette who has the most interesting roti on their menu, Barbados also has some spectacular fine dining restaurants.