Even if you do not know her name, you surely know her face as Carolyn Gomez is admittedly one of the most photographed women of Trinidad and Tobago Carnival. Over the years she has been actively sought out by photographers and her skimpy costumed feathered glory has graced many a website and newspaper. Carolyn is also a staple at Labor Day and Miami Carnival in her daring one of a kind custom costume creations.
Carolyn has become the face of Trinidad Carnival Diary’s “Hottie Over 30” post Carnival ode to the women who lead the charge of looking fabulous on the road, age not withstanding. Designer muse, Band Launch model, mother of two, video vixen, and fitness enthusiast Carolyn has 10,000 followers on Instagram who follow her new passion of “eating clean, training dirty” giving inspiration to all on a daily basis.
But, do you know the woman behind the toned abs and megawatt smile? Here we get to know her a little better.
20 Questions with the ultimate Carnival Goddess, Carolyn Gomez.
Ha, I was born on 25/06/74 I’m hitting the big 40 soon ,trembles at the thought lol! No, but seriously I’m proud of my age, because it’s not how old you are but how you feel and look.
I’m a Senior executive in a huge Financial Company in Hewlett New York, I feel very fortunate to be blessed with this job, Lord, how else would I be able to pay for all these expensive costumes I better have a Career.
Yes I missed a few Carnivals, when I got pregnant with my son who’s 9 years now. Another year I used up all my vacation days at work so if I had left I would have been fired and another time I had no damn money, my ass was broke!
5. How many Carnivals do you participate in each year ?
I do a few, I rotate between Washington, Boston, Miami, New York, Jamaica, Antigua, Barbados, Canada, Trinidad of course; I hope I didn’t miss any lol.
6. What was your first Frontline costume experience and have you done Backline since ?
The first Frontline costume I did was in Poison, it was a red and silver beautiful costume, that was the year they started Frontline, I’ve never done a backline costume since then.
7. Favourite Carnival costume of all time ?
8. What do you love the most about Carnival and playing Mas?
Honestly I love being naked lol, ok let me stop! I love getting prepared to hit the streets, the make-up, the jewellery, all the extras, I love hitting the street and feeling that overwhelming energy. The excitement is hard to contain, the colors, the fun, the men, everyone coming together and just having so much fun; I’m addicted to it, nothing compares to this feeling.
9. How do you choose your Carnival costume ? Rumour is you go for the one with the least coverage and most feathers.
Rumor is right lol, but besides being naked, I have a weird high yellow complexion that turns burnt orange when I get to Trinidad, it’s weird. I have to know that the costume I choose must compliment my skin tone. I tried an earthy shade one year because I loved the costume so much, but it did not work for me at all, lesson learned.
10. When does your Carnival preparation start and what does it include? Diet? Exercise? Monthly spa visits for secret anti ageing treatments ?
12. Solo Superstar or plays Mas with a crew?
Solo Superstar, you can play with ME if you want, but when I pick my costume it’s for me, you pick your own and we can all jump together. A few years I played all by myself, my brother dropped me to meet the band.
13. If you could only choose ONE Carnival fete to attend at Trinidad Carnival which one would it be ?
Oh my Lord, ok let me think. There is the “posing party”, then there is the “get on party” hmmmm….but ultimately I will pick Beach house, a mixture of both.
14. How on earth do you play Mas in heels and heeled boots ?
Ahahaha, I wear heels all day on work, so I live in it. I love the look people give me when they see me on the road with 6 inch heels, they see me jumping up and getting on crazy, they are like “what the hell?” Yes I’m wearing heels because I can walk in it, if I couldn’t I would never attempt such feat…… My feet still kill me the next day though lol, I ain’t gonna lie
15. Give us a run down of getting ready Carnival Tuesday morning before hitting the road. Do you roll out of bed straight into a pool of glitter ?
Hahaha, I do the exact same thing every time. Prior to the day, I get waxed all over, yes ALL over! Tuesday morning I get up pretty early, I used to get my makeup professionally done, but for the past few years I’ve been doing it myself.
I hit the showers then I slather sun block all over my body, so I’m walking around like a white mummy, after a few minutes it sets in, I do another coat, and then I start with my face. This takes time, after that I do my hair and well , it takes no time to put on the costume that’s laid out already. When I’m done I look at myself in the mirror and scream with excitement, I’m ready to hit the road, but not before a johnny walker straight lol.
16. You are always Camera ready and get tons of pics , is it that you practice posing for the cameras, what’s your signature pose?
I guess the practice comes from years of posing for pics, but depending on the costume I love turning to the side and leaning forward to show what little curves I have, my left side is my better side lol.
17. The one thing people would be surprised to know about you ?
I’m a workaholic, since I’ve known myself I’ve been working. People also look at me and think my life is some exciting life, my life is pretty simple. I work 5 days a week , crazy hours, and I’m always tired. And for all those who know me they will boast that I can cook anything, I’m an only girl and I learned from my mom….
18. How do you deal with the fans, haters, stalkers and being asked to constantly pose for photos on Carnival Monday and Tuesday?
I don’t like to use the word “haters”, I don’t like giving light to strangers who don’t matter ; the opinion of others about me does not phase me one bit. Years ago it bothered me, now I just pretend I’m deaf. I will never understand a woman who chooses to watch and talk about another chick on the road instead of enjoying her Carnival experience and wining on every man she sees, some women just can’t help it. I ignore them, I smile and keep it moving, but for the most part I get a whole lot of love, and the love that I get overshadows the hate by a milestone. I choose to be extra so I have to play the part and take the pics, I enjoy it…..
19. Your top tips for anyone wanting to look like a Carnival Goddess? Seriously, do you even sweat on the road ?
My tip would be to have fun with it, pose and pose until you can’t pose any more, smile like the whole world is watching, this is our day, we work hard all year and it’s our time now………. Girl I sweat lol but I make sure and get it together real quick
20. Which band are you gracing with your presence for Carnival 2014 and what can we expect your costume to look like?