I can vividly remember seeing Keione on the road the year I played with Bliss in 2011, she was a stand out in her Individual Amazonia costume , so much so that a friend of mine saved her photo from that year! The following year I had the pleasure of meeting this Bajan Beauty on Booze Cruise and the most striking thing about Keione is her warm and down to earth personality. Effortlessly glamorous she makes looking like a Goddess on the road so easy.
Band launch model, Carnival lover, Cropover veteran and just about the sweetest person you can meet, although a relative newcomer to Trinidad Carnival this is a face and a personality not to be easily forgotten. This week our featured Goddess is Keione Rayside.
1. We know a woman never reveals her age but, what’s your date of birth?
Exactly! Let’s just say I love the 80’s.
2. Besides looking incredibly gorgeous , what’s your occupation ?
Property Manager in Miami Beach.
3. How many years have you been playing mas in both Trinidad and Barbados ?
I’ve been playing for 10 years in Barbados and 3 years in Trinidad.
4. What led you to playing mas in Trinidad? Which band was your first ?
Well Trinidad Carnival always seemed like a right of passage living in the Caribbean. My first band was Tribe.
5. Cropover or Trinidad Carnival, compare the experience as a masquerader?
Crop Over is a brownie and Carnival is a whole cake. Depends on which you prefer, cake or brownie. I love both.
6. What was your first Frontline or Individual costume experience and have you done Backline since ?
Zari Frontline was my first and the experience was great although in the end I regretted not going for the large head piece. My best experience was Amazonia Individual. After playing in Frontline and Individual backline seems like a stretch but I’ve seen some really nice Backlines for carnival next year.
7. Favourite Carnival costume of all time ?
Amazonia Individual. Purple is my favorite color so I fell in love quickly and Carnival Tuesday I only took off my backpack and headpiece at lunch.
8. What do you love the most about Carnival and playing Mas? T
he costumes, the music and mostly the love you receive from Trinis.
9. How do you choose your Carnival costume ?
The more feathers the better? Of course, and the sexier the better too 🙂
10. When does your Carnival preparation start and what does it include? Diet? Exercise?
I enjoy working out, so you can find me in in the gym year round. Leading up to Carnival I usually cut down on carbs and increase my cardio.
11. Single or taken ?
12. Solo Superstar or plays Mas with a crew?
My crew is small!
13. If you could only choose ONE Carnival fete to attend at Trinidad Carnival which one would it be ?
Beach house, a good time is always had!
14. You look amazing on both days, how do you decide what your Monday look is going to be?
Wharren Christopher saves me that trouble and designs my Monday wear 🙂
15. Give us a run down of getting ready Carnival Tuesday morning before hitting the road, you look effortlessly put together, is it that easy ?
I wish! I hate to rush and love to be early so I am up at the crack of dawn. We start with my hair and then my make up. I take my time and get fitted into my costume, mini photo shoot and then I am ready for the road.
16. I have to ask, do you have a fashion stylist? Even at the fetes you look like you stepped out of a magazine.
I do. My best friend Wharren Christopher! I like to call him my ‘creative director’ because he literately creates from head to toe!
17. The one thing people would be surprised to know about you ?
I am a certified Zumba instructor focusing on the elderly and kids.
18. How do you deal with the attention and being asked to constantly pose for photos on Carnival Monday and Tuesday?
At first it was overwhelming but you quickly realise that if you’re in Frontline or Individual that’s all part of it. Eventually you come to appreciate it.
19. Your top tips for anyone wanting to look like a Carnival Goddess?
Well I guess I could say go to the gym, pick a sexy costume and get a stylist if you want to like like a Carnival Goddess but I think it’s more important to feel like a Carnival Goddess and for that all you need is confidence!
20. Which band are you gracing with your presence for Carnival 2014, Frontline or Individual?
A woman never reveals her costume picks! That will be answered on the road!